After a charter group of sixteen men began in October 1998 to
form the first Leather/Levi club in Canton, The Iron Eagles, Inc.
is now a non-profit corporation located in Canton, Ohio. The
first officers were elected in November 1998. Presentation of
colors were held in March 1999 at their Home Bar, The 540 Eagle.
The 540 Eagle was destroyed by a fire on June 27, 2005, (see story below), and after over 19 months of being homeless, The Iron Eagles have landed, as the Club Membership voted to make Daddy's - Akron their new home bar beginning February 3rd, 2007.
The purpose of the club is to maintain an organization to further
the ideals of leather brotherhood and friendship, and to promote
social and charitable functions.
The club accepts full members from a sixty mile radius, which
includes the Northern Ohio areas of Cleveland, Akron, Canton
Articles Of Incorporation
Ohio Non-Profit Corporation # 1058223
Article 3 - Purpose
The Corporation is organized as, and shall be operated exclusively for, the
A. A fraternal organization as provided in Section 501(c)(7) of the Internal
Revenue Code of 1984;
B. Various Charitable Endeavors within the Community;
C. To exercise all rights and powers conferred by the laws of the State of
Ohio upon nonprofit corporations in furtherance of any of the purposes of
the Corporation set forth herein;
D. To do such other things as are incidental to the purposes of the
Corporation or necessary or desirable in order to accomplish such
The 540 Eagle Fire
The 540 Eagle, home bar of the Iron Eagles, and Canton, Ohio’s leather bar burned on Monday, June 27, 2005. Firefighters arrived shortly after dawn to see smoke pouring from the all of the windows on the second floor. Flames began licking through the roof soon afterwards. The 540 Eagle spanned two buildings on the corner of Walnut Avenue and Sixth Street NE. The business had served Canton’s GLBT community for over 40 years — since the early 1970’s — at this location.
According to Canton fire officials, the buildings were old — one built before 1900 and the other built in 1920 — and subsequently both dry and quite flammable, so the flames spread very quickly. Both buildings were extensively damaged by the blaze and the 540 Eagle was a total loss. The roof crashed down into the second floor, which had contained an apartment used by the owner of the 540 Eagle, and two rooms used for storage. Then part of the first floor crashed down into the basement. Also destroyed by the fire were the Iron Eagles’ collection of documents, prizes, awards, photographs, colors presented to the Iron Eagles and to the 540 Eagle by other clubs, and the Club Colors of the Iron Eagles — the complete seven-year history of the Iron Eagles was gone.
Jamie B., the owner of the bar and an Iron Eagles' Charter Member, woke in his apartment to the smell of smoke and the clamor of the smoke detector, grabbed his cat Mickey and escaped. The fire appears to have started in a popcorn machine in the bar on the first floor, then climbed to the second story. Before firefighters were able to bring the fire under control, it had leapt to the buildings on either side of the club.
Pictured: Iron Eagles' Charter Member, Bobby B., and a friend outside the remains of The 540 Eagle after the fire.